How to get to the centre
The Vipassana Meditation Centre Tasmania is located forty minutes by road from Hobart, and is reachable by car or taxi. The nearest town, Bridgewater, is 14km away and can be reached by the Metro bus service from Hobart or Redline coaches from Launceston.
Driving directions from Hobart
- turn left at the roundabout, just after crossing the Derwent River on the Bridgewater Bridge
- follow Boyer Road alongside the Derwent River in the direction of New Norfolk
- after about 4km turn right at the sign marked 'Church Road'
- continue along Church Road for 5km until Clarke-Stewart Road which branches sharply to the right
- travel along Clarke-Stewart Road (alternative name Clarke's Road) for 3.5km until you reach the centre, located at the very end of Clarke-Stewart Road (alternative name Clarke's Road).
A 10-seater taxi departs at 3:30pm on the day the course starts from the taxi stand outside the AMP building on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets, which is part of the bus mall near the GPO in the city.
- the cost is $15 per person
- the taxi is a white Toyota Hiace
- the drive to the centre takes about 45 minutes.
A Redline coach departs from Launceston at 1:00pm. It arrives at Bridgewater around 3:15pm, stopping on the side of the Midland Highway opposite McDonalds. Students alight at that bus stop and take the overpass to cross the highway and proceed to the McDonalds car park from where the taxi to Dhamma Pabha will leave about 4:00pm.
- The taxi pickup point is the grassed area opposite the main entrance to the McDonald’s building near the Disabled Parking area
- cost is $15 per person payable to the driver
- the taxi is a white Toyota Hiace.
If you will be using the taxi service (on the day a 10-day course starts), then please advise the Course Registrar as soon as possible or at least one day before the course starts, noting whether you wish to be collected from Bridgewater or Hobart.